Richmond Memorial Hospital was founded on twin ideals: to better meet the healthcare needs of the Richmond community and to memorialize the area’s World War II victims. The Hospital opened in 1957 as the community’s first “open-staffed” hospital—a hospital that permitted appropriately certified physicians from throughout the community to admit patients. Throughout its history, the Hospital served people of all races and backgrounds, regardless of their ability to pay.
The Richmond Memorial Hospital Foundation was formed in 1970 to manage investments and provide support to the Hospital and the community. The Foundation served the Hospital for decades by helping it provide access to high quality healthcare.
By the 1980s and 1990s, the nation’s healthcare systems changed rapidly—and the need to replace Richmond Memorial Hospital became apparent. With the opening of Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical Center in 1998, the Foundation became the Richmond Memorial Foundation and the assets of the former organization were merged into it. The Foundation’s mission emerged as making grants to its legacy institutions and other nonprofit health and healthcare related organizations serving Richmond and central Virginia.
In 2004, the Institution changed its name to Richmond Memorial Health Foundation. The new name reflects the ongoing mission, respecting the tradition of caring of Richmond Memorial Hospital and its founding ideals—which continue to guide our work.